Current job opportunities:
Position: Board Members
The Board will support the work of Adoption Options and provide missed-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Adoption Options' executive director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the ED as s/he develops and implements Adoption Options strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by Adoption Options for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving Adoption Options annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the ED
- Assisting the ED and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the ED and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing Adoption Options to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring Adoption Options commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities Adoption Options serves
Adoption Options Board Members will consider Adoption Options a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that Adoption Options can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, Adoption Options expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is stated in the commitment letter.
Adoption Options Board Members will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held at least every other month and could be monthly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Adoption Options mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of Adoption Options beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Adoption Options beneficiaries
Service on Adoption Options Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.