Current job opportunities:
Position: Board Members
The Board will support the work of Adoption Options and provide missed-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Adoption Options' executive director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the ED as s/he develops and implements Adoption Options strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by Adoption Options for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving Adoption Options annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the ED
- Assisting the ED and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the ED and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing Adoption Options to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring Adoption Options commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities Adoption Options serves
Adoption Options Board Members will consider Adoption Options a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that Adoption Options can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, Adoption Options expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is stated in the commitment letter.
Adoption Options Board Members will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held at least every other month and could be monthly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Adoption Options mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of Adoption Options beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Adoption Options beneficiaries
Service on Adoption Options Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
Job Category: Fundraising/Development Executive
Location: Front Range
Employment Status: Full Time, Exempt
Reports to: The Executive Director
Effective Date: We will be accepting applications until the position is filled. Preferred start date will be on or before October 15, 2017
About Adoption Options
Adoption Options is an inclusive, non-profit adoption agency dedicated to enriching the lives of children, youth and families. We provide education, placement services, counseling and support for all members of the adoption community.
Since 1981, Adoption Options' philosophy of “Embracing Choices, Enriching Lives” has brought together families of all races, religions and orientations. We are Colorado's leading non-profit, non-sectarian child placement agency offering an unprecedented range of vital services that benefit adoptive parents, birth parents, community partners and child welfare professionals.
Reporting to the Executive Director and working closely with the Board of Directors, the Director of Fundraising and Development serves in an executive leadership role and has strategic and operational accountability for all developmental and fundraising initiatives. The Director of Fundraising and Development is responsible for securing financial resources through events, sponsorships and donations which support Adoption Options programs and services. The Director of Fundraising and Development serves as the face of Adoption Options in furtherance of strategic goals and engages constituents, as appropriate. Bachelor's degree required with at least 5 years’ experience in fundraising and development. Master's degree or Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) accreditation preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for developing an annual comprehensive development plan in collaboration with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors, that is comprised of; fundraising events, donor and sponsor cultivation, community partnerships and media relations. All initiatives must be supported by targeted goals, objectives, methods, quantifiable outcomes and timelines
- Oversee the planning and execution of fundraising events as specified in the development plan
- Identify and develop corporate, community and individual prospects in order to establish a diversified and sustainable income base
- Manage Adoption Options donor data base
- Develop comprehensive communication plans to promote Adoption Options to its donors and maximize community awareness of fundraising activities
- Actively engage with volunteers, board members, committees, partnering organizations, national and special interest committees, current and potential members/audiences and funders
- Responsible for submitting and monitoring a realistic and achievable annual developmental and fundraising budget in accordance with established agency financial reporting procedures
- Investigate possibilities of program partnerships, sponsorships, and strategic alliances that will extend the organization's brand in the community and increase avenues of support
- Actively engage with the Adoption Options grant writing specialist, identify grant opportunities, initiate contact, develop relationships, track and evaluate data
- Responsible for working closely with staff to review program services in order to obtain information for reporting, comply with donor expectations and be aware of program needs for funding to fill gaps or unmet needs of clients
- Actively manage 3-5 annual fundraising events including: coordination and logistics, silent and live auction processes, mobile bidding, volunteers, etc.
- Liaise with the Agency’s marketing specialist in the design, production and distribution of quality ancillary materials that support developmental and fundraising goals
- Accountable for growing positive awareness and visibility of Adoption Options and strengthen its reputation and sustainability with clients, funders and the communities it serves
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, assist with the cultivation of civic organizations, the Board of Directors, corporate, foundation and business representatives
- Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress are in place; regularly evaluate development and marketing components in order to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents
- Adhere to agency internal and external confidentiality requirements as described in the employee handbook
- Treat co-workers, clients and volunteers with respect, inspire the trust of others, work with integrity and conduct all business within the ethical standards of the agency
- Adhere to the personal appearance standards as outline in the employee handbook and meet the attendance requirements of the job, including weekends and evenings, as events require
- Must have access to reliable transportation and possess a valid, unrestricted driver’s license within Colorado